Sunday, September 12, 2010

Shiny Sink

Remember my recent post "Nice Empty Space" in which I started nesting, cleaning out all of Aidan's baby stuff from the basement? You may recall that Step 4 was to sanitize the baby toys in my kitchen sink.

Well, recently I read a tip in Real Simple Magazine from The Fly Lady about Shiny Sinks 101 and discovered I created a shiny sink without even trying! Here's what you do .... Fill the sink to the rim with very hot water, add one cup of regular bleach and soak for 1 hour. Drain and rinse thoroughly.

That day as I soaked baby toys, I cleaned my sink and it worked great! In the past I've scrubbed ... and scrubbed ... and scrubbed since I tend to acquire a lot of tea and coffee stains in my sink.

If you feel so obliged, you may continue this with a few extra cleaning steps ... but I was pleased by just 1. Filling the sink with bleach water and 2. Draining it!

Optional extra steps ... 3. Scrub with Ajax, Bon Ami or baking soda. 4. Rinse again. 5. Shine with Windex or another glass cleaning spray. 6. Dry thoroughly.

You know what they say, if company's coming, clean your bathroom AND your kitchen sink first. Here's what I say, disinfect some icky bathtub or kid toys and kill two birds with one stone! You can also double-duty using your dishwasher ... throw in odds and ends such as burner knobs, utensil organizers, the drain catch, sponges, pet bowls, and even your dish drying rack! I do this all the time as a time-saver!

No comments:

Post a Comment