Thursday, June 17, 2010

Baby's Mouth

Each month I go to my regular baby check-up, I am presented with more stuff to read - brochures, tip sheets and other educational materials. I read it. Although I've been there, done that, I'm certainly not a know-it-all and I'm open to learning new things. And I am.

When Aidan was little and he got his first few "toofers", we bought him "baby's first" toothbrush and toothpaste and we brushed. A recent pamphlet told me that I should have gotten to that a bit sooner, before he had teeth. Here's the scoop:

Cavities are caused by food and germs that are not cleaned off your baby's gums and teeth. Even your formula or breast milk, if not wiped off, can cause cavities to form.

Remove the Germs

Infants: Wipe your infant's gums (and any teeth) after feedings with a clean damp washcoth, gauze pad, or finger cot made just for infant gums.

12 Months and Older: Brush your baby's teeth and gums twice a day with a soft child-sized tooth brush using a "rice" size amount of paste. Make one of those brushing times before bedtime.

Stop the Spread of Germs to Baby

Don't: • clean a child's pacifier in your mouth • share spoons, forks, cups and toothbrushes • pre-chew your child's foods • taste your child's food or drink • clean your child's face with your salavia

Do: • rinse pacifiers and toothbrushes with clean water • replace toothbrushes after each illness or every three months • have your child see a dentist by their 1st birthday • visit the dentist twice a year

No comments:

Post a Comment